Someone Like Me is a telephone peer support service for kinship carers who have requested support on a one-to-one basis.
As current or former kinship carers – you are in the best position to help by offering emotional support to kinship carers who need a listening ear from someone who understands what they are going through and, where appropriate, reflecting back on your own personal experience.
The Someone Like Me service wants to reach out to even more kinship carers, and by becoming part of a dedicated and committed team of volunteers, you will be providing vital support.
Most importantly, you’ll be helping other kinship carers to feel less alone.
Purpose of the role:
To contact kinship carers by telephone to provide emotional and moral support
Location and requirements:
- You will be home-based, anywhere in England and Wales
- You will also need access to a phone and a computer with the internet, email and a confidential space from which to work
- All calls are routed through Kinship’s telephone system, with coded logins so your number will not be visible and there will be no cost to you
- Regular commitment of a minimum of 2-3 hours per week, Monday-Friday, at a time that suits you
- We ask for a minimum commitment of one year whilst recognising that people’s circumstances may change.
What will I be doing?
You will be matched with kinship carers who have requested additional support
You’ll call your assigned kinship carers and provide emotional and moral support through supportive listening and empathy
You’ll reflect on, and share your own experiences where appropriate and if it is helpful to the kinship carer
You can signpost kinship carers needing advice to our advice service, or other information and support services in their local area
Complete post-call forms call for each contact to help measure impact and help us ensure we’re supporting kinship carers with the right type of service
Work within the boundaries of the charity’s confidentiality, safeguarding and data protection policies
Is the role right for you?
We need current or former kinship carers who are really passionate, dedicated and really want to proactively make a difference to the lives of other kinship carers. We are looking for people with the following skills and qualities:
- An empathetic and friendly telephone manner
- Able to build a rapport with people and put them at ease
- Warmth, understanding, sensitivity and a willingness to listen
- Ability to be supportive and non-judgemental
- An ability to sensitively reflect on and share your experiences in a way that supports and empowers other kinship carers, without giving advice
- Ability to communicate clearly over the phone and in writing
- An understanding of the need for confidentiality
What will you gain from the role?
- Induction and Training to equip you with the skills to carry out the role
- Ongoing support and supervision from our Volunteer Officer
- Reimbursement for reasonable out of pocket expenses (where appropriate, on production of a receipt)
- Membership to our Kinship Community network with opportunities to attend events and special kinship care events
What are the benefits of volunteering with us?
- The opportunity to volunteer from home at a time that suits you
- The opportunity to develop new skills and knowledge
- The satisfaction of knowing that you are making a difference to the lives of kinship carers
- The chance to feel connected with other kinship carers feeling and working towards a common goal
How to apply:
Before you start as a volunteer at Kinship:
- Kinship will ask you to provide the names of two people who have known you for at least two years who can offer a reference for you. This could be a colleague or friend, but not a family member.
- You will be required to attend and complete the induction training sessions.
- You’ll have conversations with our Volunteer Officer throughout the process to make sure the volunteer role is a good fit for you and for the charity .
If you have any questions or would like further information about the role, please contact the Volunteer Officer by email: email@example.com
Are you ready to become a Someone Like Me volunteer for Kinship?
- Download the Someone Like Me volunteer role description.
- Join an online Someone Like Me Information Session.
- Please complete our Volunteer Application and Equal Opportunities Forms.
If you would like more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org