Why we need you
There are 200,000 kinship carers in the UK raising a relative’s or a friend’s child but many are struggling alone without the support and information they need.
Kinship carers often find themselves in difficult situations, emotionally, practically and financially but may not be aware that they can apply for grants to help with essential items for the home. We need reliable and committed volunteers willing to contact kinship carers by phone to gather the information needed to submit a grant application on their behalf. As someone who is comfortable using the internet and filling out forms, your help could make a real difference to the lives of kinship families.
Sitting within the Grandparents Plus advice team, this rewarding role will support the work of our advisers and project workers, enabling us to provide a range of support to meet the needs of kinship carers.
This is a flexible role (minimum of 4 hours a week required) but hours may vary depending on the needs of the service. You will have the opportunity to discuss your availability and preferences with a member of staff.
Minimum age: 18
Location and requirements
This role is home-based and you will need access to a phone and a computer with internet and a confidential space from which to work. You will be given special login details that will enable you to make calls from your own phone without paying any charges. Calls are anonymised so your telephone number is kept private.
- You will be taking referrals from project workers and our advice team who will identify kinship carers who would benefit from receiving a grant.
- You will be speaking to families over the phone about their circumstances and needs.
- You will be entering grant application details via online systems which will be reviewed by the advice team prior to submission.
- You may also be involved in processing awards and recording outcomes.
- You will liaise with members of the Grandparents Plus advice team.
- You will work within the boundaries of the charity’s confidentiality and data protection policies.
Is the role right for you?
We need people who are dedicated and want to proactively make a difference to the lives of kinship families. In particular, we are looking for people with the following skills and qualities:
- An empathetic and friendly telephone manner
- Ability to communicate clearly over the phone and in writing
- Comfortable in using the internet and filling out online forms
- Able to work independently
- An understanding of the need for confidentiality
- Good IT skills
What will you gain from the role?
- You will receive training that will equip you with the necessary skills to fulfill this role as well as provide skills that can be used in other areas of your life.
- You will receive ongoing support from the Volunteer Development Manager and the Grandparents Plus Advice team.
- You will have the satisfaction of knowing that you are making a difference to the lives of kinship carers.
- You will have the opportunity to develop new skills and knowledge.
- You will gain a positive sense of wellbeing from feeling part of something and working towards a common goal.
How to apply
Please email email@example.com to confirm your interest. You will then be sent a volunteer registration form to
If you have any questions or would like further information about the role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before you start
You will be required to complete an induction training programme. Grandparents Plus will arrange to carry out a DBS check and we will also ask for two references from people who have known you for at least two years (this could be a friend or a colleague)